We stand on the precipice of a new year. The last 12 months have been tumultuous for the United States of America in many ways; culturally, politically, but most of all morally and spiritually.
Once could fairly and adequately state that [using Charles Spurgeon’s analogy] America is on the down-grade. Christian bakers and photographers are fined and threatened with worse for conscientiously objecting to participation in a same-sex ceremony. The slaughter of unborn babies, which has continued unabated since 1973, was brought into sharp display with grisly videos depicting infant body part transactions. And where does one begin regarding the treatment of veterans?
But the United States can be great again. Its’ citizens must begin again to:
- remember and honor the triune God who has continually watched over and blessed the nation from its inception
- respect the Constitution and the rule of law
- convey honor and dignity to all human life, regardless of its age from conception to natural death
And demand of the government to:
- act as a sovereign nation; protecting its citizens and securing its borders
- treat those who serve in our military, police, and first responder units with honor and respect, taking special care of the wounded in their ranks
- serve again as the principal leader of free nations, advancing the cause of liberty and redress of wrongs against the oppressed
This list is not even close to exhaustive by any means. That fact is unfortunate and is cause for sadness. Above and before all of our efforts, however is the need to pray daily for this nation. Pray for those in authority and positions of leadership. Pray for the election of new leaders that we will face in the not too distant future. Pray that we would return to God, and that His judgement upon us may yet be stayed. Pray without ceasing.
Late Great United States?
I fear for this place
the late great United States?
where innocent babes are torn asunder
harvested in pain, for plunder
When did our hearts grow fangs
How long since our souls surrendered?
The fact that God has not yet brought us low
gives me cause to hope
Still yet a remnant of The Way holds sway
within His heart, judgement held at bay
But how long can His righteous anger be subdued
against the tide of evil and depravity unglued?
Hardly ever has the Devil found such fertile ground
We make it far too easy for evil to abound
Yet, lest we forget
when sin covers this land
in the barrenness of desert sand
We who faithfully follow Christ
can offer Living Water
and plant the seeds that bring
fertile valleys of righteousness
in the Land of the King